Re: varchar for loops possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raghavendra
Subject Re: varchar for loops possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
As Tom said, you need to declare tmp_var as per the result set coming from select distinct (value) column.
I gave a try on it.

create or replace function prn_test() returns void as $$
declare
    tmp_var test_table.name%type;         ///Test_table with name column which is varchar(20) in my case
begin
     for tmp_var in (select distinct name from test_table)
     loop
         raise notice 'Give anything here :) ... !!!';
         update test_table set name=tmp_var;
     end loop;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"J.V." <jvsrvcs@gmail.com> writes:
>      for tmp_var in select distinct(value) from mytable where
> value2='literal'
> tmp_var has to be in  ' ' ticks or will not work.  it is failing on the
> first FOR statment stating:  "invalid input syntax for integer:
> "some_distinct_value".

Um, how do you have tmp_var declared?  plpgsql seems to be acting
as though it's an integer variable, which is not what you need if
"value" is a varchar.