Re: Improve handling of parameter differences in physical replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Improve handling of parameter differences in physical replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 18:45, Peter Eisentraut

> On 2020-03-09 09:11, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > I think after recovery is paused users will be better to restart the
> > server rather than resume the recovery. I agree with this idea but I'm
> > slightly concerned that users might not realize that recovery is
> > paused until they look at that line in server log or at
> > pg_stat_replication because the standby server is still functional. So
> > I think we can periodically send WARNING to inform user that we're
> > still waiting for parameter change and restart.
>
> I think that would be annoying, unless you create a system for
> configuring those periodic warnings.
>
> I imagine in a case like having set max_prepared_transactions but never
> actually using prepared transactions, people will just ignore the
> warning until they have their next restart, so it could be months of
> periodic warnings.

Well I meant to periodically send warning messages while waiting for
parameter change, that is after exhausting resources and stopping
recovery. In this situation user need to notice that as soon as
possible.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/