Re: Possible Corrputed shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From James Sebastian
Subject Re: Possible Corrputed shared memory
Date
List pgsql-novice

On 1 August 2015 at 20:10, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
James Sebastian <james.sebastian@gmail.com> writes:
> On 1 August 2015 at 19:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Also, if it took that long to recover, you might have raised the
>> checkpoint interval settings too high.

> I am using the following parameters

> checkpoint_segments = 10 (from OS default 3)
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.8 (from OS default 0.5)
> archive_mode=on
> archive_timeout=600

[ scratches head... ] It should certainly not have taken very long to
replay 10 WAL segments worth of data.  I surmise that the problems
you were having before the shutdown were worse than you thought, ie
checkpoints were failing to complete, probably due to a persistent
I/O error, so that there was a whole lot more than normal to replay
after the last successful checkpoint.  Is there any evidence of such
distress in the postmaster log?

[....sigh....Thanks.....]

We had very slow application performance and many hanging threads as per pgadmin -> server status
Also logs had the following which also indicating probably high I/O (as per google search results)

2015-07-30 10:10:21 IST WARNING:  pgstat wait timeout
2015-07-30 10:12:21 IST WARNING:  pgstat wait timeout

I got hardware analysed and I am sure there was no disc problems as per them.
Load on application was usual...and that brings me to this email list

Thanks for all the help so far. I am learning much and becoming  little more comfortable  with dealing with postgres administration from pure os admin background.

                        regards, tom lane