is there a way to firmly cap postgres worker memory consumption? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Kehlet
Subject is there a way to firmly cap postgres worker memory consumption?
Date
Re: is there a way to firmly cap postgres worker memory consumption?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I'm running into some scenarios where errant postgres queries are consuming all memory and bringing down production boxes. I'm running Postgres 9.3.4 on CentOS 5.x VMs under XenServer. My custom config is here: https://gist.github.com/skehlet/9984666

The incidents may be related to reports of an array_agg memory leak, and another recent incident seems like it was due to the xpath() function provided by --with-xml. There's some more information on the former in my post at: http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/62587/why-does-this-query-cause-the-postgres-worker-process-to-consume-so-much-memory, if it's interesting. I'd like to dig into that further, maybe on another thread.

But for now, the devs are asking me for some way to put a cap on a postgres query's total memory consumption. I'm familiar with the available settings on the "Resource Consumption" docs (and you can see my settings in my gist above, including work_mem turned way down to 1MB for testing), but it seems like there are things like Materialize that remain uncappable, since they're not constrained by the shared_buffers and work_mem limits. For example in my post to dba.stackexchange above, I found by doing a "set enable_material=false;" I could stop a particularly nasty query from consuming all memory, narrowing the problem somewhat, but that query is one we have to live with in the near term.

With all that laid out, can anyone help with the following questions:

- Is there any way to set to total memory cap on a worker processes memory consumption?
- Are there other (even undocumented) settings to cap memory usage?
- Other ideas?

In the meantime, to stop the bleeding I'm looking into using the postgres feature to coerce the OOM killer to kill rogue child processes first (-DLINUX_OOM_ADJ). Unfortunately, another setback, even the latest kernel on CentOS 5.x doesn't allow non-root processes to write to /proc/self/oom_adj, so it isn't working. So I'll either need to patch the CentOS kernel and rebuild, move to a newer kernel, or maybe do something hacky like run a background process to reassign the oom_adj value for all postgres workers found.

Thanks for any help/ideas!