Re: BUG #17793: Query with large number of joins crashes PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: BUG #17793: Query with large number of joins crashes PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 at 11:29, PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> These are the server logs when the crash happens:
> 2023-02-14 09:17:31.440 UTC [1] LOG:  server process (PID 35) was terminated
> by signal 9: Killed
> It looks like the OS is killing the process due to running OOM, which is not
> very surprising when looking at the query. Is this expected, or should PG
> have guards in place to prevent this from happening?

When you run postgres in an environment where someone ( OOM killer )
can K9 it, protection is hard. IIRC OOM can kill you because ANOTHER
process touches memory, among other things.

( I do run DBs in machines w/ overcommit disabled, this prevents it
from happening, but it is not Pg who prevents it ).

FOS.