Fwd: Code for getting particular day of week number from month - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Fwd: Code for getting particular day of week number from month
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 2:10 PM Mike Martin <redtux1@gmail.com> wrote:
> For a particular sequence I needed to do (schedule 2nd monday in month for coming year) I created the following
query
nice, but a little brute force.

Is this what you are trying to do:

$  select d::date as month_starts, to_char(date_trunc('week',d-'1
day'::interval)::date+14,'YYYY-MM-DD Day') as "2nd_monday" from
generate_series('2018-12-01'::date, '2020-12-01'::date,'1
month'::interval ) months(d);

Explanation:
generate_series for 1st day of each month.
1.- substract a day to get LAST day of previous month.
2.- truncate to week, which happily for us sends it to monday on my
locale ( YMMV ).
3.- Now you have LAST monday of PREVIOUS month, just go forward as
many weeks as needed.

If other DOW is needed, say wednesday, adjust substraction in previous
phase ( i.e., last wednesday of NOVEMBER is 2 days AFTER last MONDAY
before november 28 (two days BEFORE end of november ), If I'm doing
the math right get it right, so you would use something like:

date_trunc('week', -- this truncates to mondays so
 d  -- currrent month start.
  -'1 day'::interval  -- last month end
  -'2 day'::interval  -- diff from used day and the ones date_trunc returns.
)::date    -- back to dates so we can use integer for lazy typers.
+2  -- restore the 2 days  we took before,
+14 -- and add a couple of weeks.

This is the tricky part, as date_trunc rounds down you have to play a
bit with where it rounds.

And then, 2nd MONDAY of december is 14 days AFTER last monday of november.

You count from the end of the previous month because date_trunc goes
down, if you have a function "rounding dates up" it would be much
easier.

Results:

 month_starts |      2nd_monday
--------------+----------------------