Re: BUG #11986: psql uses pager inside Emacs shell buffer (not a terminal) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: BUG #11986: psql uses pager inside Emacs shell buffer (not a terminal)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi everyone:

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> The more I read about this, the more I think we should leave well enough
> alone.  As was pointed out upthread, users can fix this for not just psql
> but many other programs by setting PAGER=cat.

+1 for this.

And also I'd like to point this is not a bug. Certainly not a psql bug (
which is using or not using the pager exactly as directed ).  It's more a
featureM-<DEL>modification request/proposal ( certaninly not an improvement
/ enhancement IMO ).

IMO if I invoke psql in pager enabled mode, telling it to use ( by action
or omission ) a given pager it should use it. What I want is a servant, not
a nanny.

In fact, if I use a $PAGER which works correctly, for some definition of
correctly, inside a shell buffer this will kill it ( so, emacs shell mode
users with correctly configured $PAGERs for emacs shell mode will see it
ceasing to work, just to benefit people with incorrectly configured ones or
which do not bother telling psql to omit pager use ( and bear in mind I'm
one of the later ones, but I know it's my fault ) ). I fear this would be
the beginning of the tabletization of psql.

Francisco Olarte.