Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Feature test issues - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Atira Odhner
Subject Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Feature test issues
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Just to clarify the change we made in this regard --- we use the 'reset layout' link in the header between tests, but it essentially still does a page load and doesn't save us time. If we were to do an actual page load we would run into issues because of the navigation confirmation popup. If we were to manually reset the layout I think it would be very difficult to account for all the various scenarios and ensure a reasonable separation between tests.

Tira

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Atira Odhner <aodhner@pivotal.io> wrote:
>> On my top-of-the-range-last-year Mac, startup takes about 14 seconds
>> per test - that's from the start of the test, until the point at which
>> the "Loading pgAdmin..." spinner vanishes.
>

> That includes the time it takes to load the page, not just app startup time.
> The spinner doesn't appear until the app has started. We're working today on
> eliminating the multiple startups, but it won't have an effect on page load
> time. I think the only way to fix that test run time would be to actually
> improve the page load time. That said, we're seeing tests run much faster
> than you are-- 43 seconds for the entire suite of which 30 seconds was the
> two feature tests.

Right - when I talk about having a single startup, I'm not just
talking about the app server, but the browser and initial page load as
well. It may pay to have a function we can call that would reset  the
treeview and the tabset, thus allowing us to reset the view cheaply
between groups of tests (assuming we might have a number of tests that
could all run in the same query tool instance for example).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company