Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 February 2013 09:04, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> It makes me uncomfortable that we're adding switches to pg_ctl promote just
> because we're worried there might be bugs in our code. If we don't trust the
> code as it is, it needs more testing. We can analyze the code more
> thoroughly, to make an educated guess on what's likely to happen if it's
> broken, and consider adding some sanity checks etc. to make the consequences
> less severe. We should not put the burden on our users to decide if the code
> is trustworthy enough to use.

I don't think I said I was worried about bugs in code, did I? The
point is that this has been a proven mechanism for many years and
we're now discussing turning that off completely with no user option
to put it back, which has considerable risk with it.

Acknowledging risks and taking risk mitigating actions is a normal
part of any IT project. If we start getting unexplained errors it
could take a long time to trace that back to the lack of a shutdown
checkpoint.

I don't mind saying openly this worries me and its why I took months
to commit it. If there was no risk here and its all so easy, why
didn't we commit this last year, or why didn't you override me and
commit this earlier in this cycle?

I have to say I care very little for the beauty or lack of command
switches, in such a case. The "cost" there is low.

Tell me you understand the risk I am discussing, tell me in your
opinion we're safe and I'm being unnecessarily cautious, maybe even
foolishly so, and I'll relent. I'll stand by that and take the flak.
But saying you don't like a switch is like telling me you don't like
the colour of my car safety belt.