Re: RFC: Making TRUNCATE more "MVCC-safe" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: RFC: Making TRUNCATE more "MVCC-safe"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:

>> But I have to admit I'm intrigued by the idea of extending this to
>> other cases, if there's a reasonable way to do that.  For example, if
>> we could fix things up so that we don't see a table at all if it was
>> created after we took our snapshot, that would remove one of the
>> obstacles to marking pages bulk-loaded into that table with FrozenXID
>> and PD_ALL_VISIBLE from the get-go.  I think a lot of people would be
>> mighty happy about that.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> But the necessary semantics seem somewhat different.  For TRUNCATE,
>> you want to throw a serialization error; but is that also what you
>> want for CREATE TABLE?  Or do you just want it to appear empty?
>
> I think an error helps just as much there.  If you create a table and populate
> it with data in the same transaction, letting some snapshot see an empty table
> is an atomicity failure.
>
> Your comment illustrates a helpful point: this is just another kind of
> ordinary serialization failure, one that can happen at any isolation level.
> No serial transaction sequence can yield one of these errors.

Thanks Noah for drawing attention to this thread. I hadn't been
watching. As you say, this work would allow me to freeze rows at load
time and avoid the overhead of hint bit setting, which avoids
performance issues from hint bit setting in checksum patch.

I've reviewed this patch and it seems OK to me. Good work Marti.

v2 patch attached, updated to latest HEAD. Patch adds
* a GUC called strict_mvcc to isolate the new behaviour if required
* relvalidxid is reset by VACUUM/ANALYZE to avoid wraparound failure

At present this lacks docs for strict_mvcc and doesn't attempt to
handle CREATE TABLE case yet, but should be straightforward to do so.

Hint bit setting is in separate patch on other thread.

Attachment