Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 November 2014 at 22:46, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
>>> FYI, patch v12 part 2 no longer applies cleanly.
>>>
>> Thanks. I rebased the patch set according to the latest master branch.
>> The attached v13 can be applied to the master.
>
> I've committed parts 1 and 2 of this, without the documentation, and
> with some additional cleanup.  I am not sure that this feature is
> sufficiently non-experimental that it deserves to be documented, but
> if we're thinking of doing that then the documentation needs a lot
> more work.  I think part 3 of the patch is mostly useful as a
> demonstration of how this API can be used, and is not something we
> probably want to commit.  So I'm not planning, at this point, to spend
> any more time on this patch series, and will mark it Committed in the
> CF app.

I'm very concerned about the state of this feature. No docs, no
examples, and therefore, no testing. This standard of code is much
less than I've been taught is the minimum standard on this project.

There are zero docs, even in README. Experimental feature, or not,
there MUST be documentation somewhere, in some form, even if that is
just on the Wiki. Otherwise how it will ever be used sufficiently to
allow it to be declared fully usable?

The example contrib module was not committed and I am advised no longer works.

After much effort in persuading academic contacts to begin using the
feature for open source research it now appears pretty much unusable.

This is supposed to be an open project. Whoever takes responsibility
here, please ensure that those things are resolved, quickly.

We're on a time limit because any flaws in the API need to be ironed
out before its too late and we have to decide to either remove the API
because its flaky, or commit to supporting it in production for 9.5.