Re: In progress INSERT wrecks plans on table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: In progress INSERT wrecks plans on table
Date
Re: In progress INSERT wrecks plans on table  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-performance
On 2 May 2013 01:49, Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> On 02/05/13 02:06, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> writes:
>>>
>>> I am concerned that the deafening lack of any replies to my original
>>> message is a result of folk glancing at your original quick reply and
>>> thinking... incomplete problem spec...ignore... when that is not that
>>> case - yes I should have muttered "9.2" in the original email, but we
>>> have covered that now.
>>
>> No, I think it's more that we're trying to get to beta, and so anything
>> that looks like new development is getting shuffled to folks' "to
>> look at later" queues.  The proposed patch is IMO a complete nonstarter
>> anyway; but I'm not sure what a less bogus solution would look like.
>>

> Yeah, I did think that beta might be consuming everyone's attention (of
> course immediately *after* sending the email)!
>
> And yes, the patch was merely to illustrate the problem rather than any
> serious attempt at a solution.

I think we need a problem statement before we attempt a solution,
which is what Tom is alluding to.

ISTM that you've got a case where the plan is very sensitive to a
table load. Which is a pretty common situation and one that can be
solved in various ways. I don't see much that Postgres can do because
it can't know ahead of time you're about to load rows. We could
imagine an optimizer that set thresholds on plans that caused the
whole plan to be recalculated half way thru a run, but that would be a
lot of work to design and implement and even harder to test. Having
static plans at least allows us to discuss what it does after the fact
with some ease.

The plan is set using stats that are set when there are very few
non-NULL rows, and those increase massively on load. The way to cope
is to run the ANALYZE immediately after the load and then don't allow
auto-ANALYZE to reset them later.