Re: Sending notifications from the master to the standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Sending notifications from the master to the standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> BTW ... it occurs to me to ask whether we really have a solid use-case
> for having listeners attached to slave servers.  I have personally never
> seen an application for LISTEN/NOTIFY in which the listeners were
> entirely read-only.  Even if there are one or two cases out there, it's
> not clear to me that supporting it is worth the extra complexity that
> seems to be needed.

The idea is to support external caches that re-read the data when it changes.

If we can do that from the standby then we offload from the master.

Yes, there are other applications for LISTEN/NOTIFY and we wouldn't be
able to support them all with this.