Re: Merge compact/non compact commits, make aborts dynamically sized - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Merge compact/non compact commits, make aborts dynamically sized
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 February 2015 at 18:51, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2015 05:21 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>
>> In the attached patch I've merged compact/noncompact code, made aborts
>> use similar logic to avoid including useless bytes and used both for the
>> 2pc equivalents.
>

> +1 for this approach in general.

+1 also

The compact commit record idea wasn't useful enough to stick with,
especially in the light of logical rep, possible future extensions to
the commit record and the prevalence of subtransactions.

XactEmitCommitRecord and XactEmitAbortRecord are somewhat hard to
understand. More comments or clearer design please.

The record format itself needs more explanation than I see in the
patch. Might be worth documenting when and how those fields would be
populated also (my bad).

It might be useful to have the optional field descriptions be named
with a _opt suffix to make it clearer.

-- Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training &
Services