Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
Re: Deprecating RULES  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 12 October 2012 19:48, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> AFAICS all RULEs can be re-expressed as Triggers or Views.
>
> This is a bizarre discussion. Firstly this isn't even close to true.
> The whole source of people's discontentment is that triggers are *not*
> equivalent to rules. If they were then they wouldn't be so upset.

This may be a confusion on the point of equivalence; clearly the
features work differently.

I'm not aware of any rule that can't be rewritten as a trigger or a
view. Please can anyone show me some examples of those?

Assuming examples exist, do we think that is wide enough to be
considered a useful feature, given the other downsides of rules such
as not abiding by COPY - which causes data corruption for those who
thought rules would always be obeyed.