Re: posix_fadvise missing in the walsender - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: posix_fadvise missing in the walsender
Date
Re: posix_fadvise missing in the walsender  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 19 February 2013 20:19, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In access/transam/xlog.c we give the OS buffer caching a hint that we
>>> won't need a WAL file any time soon with
>>>
>>>      posix_fadvise(openLogFile, 0, 0, POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED);
>>>

> If that's the case, why have the advisory call at all?  The OS is
> being lied too (in some cases)...

I agree with Merlin and Joachim - if we have the call in one place, we
should have it in both.

This means that if a standby fails it will likely have to re-read
these files from disk. Cool, we can live with that.

Patch please,