Re: Limiting setting of hint bits by read-only queries; vacuum_delay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Limiting setting of hint bits by read-only queries; vacuum_delay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26 March 2013 14:44, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So please, lets go with a simple solution now that allows users to say
>> what they want.
>
> Simon, this is just empty posturing, as your arguments have nothing
> whatsoever to do with whether the above description applies to your
> patch.

Waiting for an auto-tuned solution to *every* problem means we just
sit and watch bad things happen, knowing how to fix them for
particular cases yet not being able to do anything at all.

> More generally, the fact that a patch has some user-frobbable knob
> does not mean that it's actually a good or even usable solution.  As
> everybody keeps saying, testing on a wide range of use-cases would be
> needed to prove that, and we don't have enough time left for such
> testing in the 9.3 timeframe.  This problem needs to be attacked in
> an organized and deliberate fashion, not by hacking something up under
> time pressure and shipping it with minimal testing.

Well, it has been tackled like that and we've *all* got nowhere. No
worries, I can wait a year for that beer.