Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8 November 2012 23:20, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 08:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> On 8 November 2012 17:07, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think I understand the proposal.  Under what circumstances
>>> would it throw a serialization error?
>>
>> If you ask for TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE then if someone asks for data in
>> the table and has a snapshot that can see earlier data then it will
>> throw a serializable error. So its a new kind of TRUNCATE that is MVCC
>> safe.
>
> Can't we make it so that the reader with earlier snapshot sees the data from
> the pre-truncation file ?

We could... but that would require keeping a history of relfilenodes
for an object to allow for more than one TRUNCATE event. Tracking all
of that would be hard and I don't personally think its worth that
effort.

> and we unlink the base file(s) only once nobody has a snapshot the can see
> it ?

DELETE does that if that's the semantics you want.