Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13 November 2012 06:14, Amit kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com> wrote:

>>I get the installability thang, very very much, I just don't see the
>>single process thing as the only solution. At very least an open
>>minded analysis of the actual problem and ways of solving it is called
>>for, not just reach for a close to hand solution.
>
> Some other usecase where I have seen it required is in telecom billing apps.
> In telecom application where this solution works, needs other maintainence connections as well.
> Some of the reasons for its use are performance and less maintainence overhead and also their data requirements are
> also not so high.
> So even if this solution doesn't meet all requirements of single process solution (and neither I think it is written
toaddress all)  but can't we think of it as first version and then based on requirements extend it to have other
capabilities:
> a. to have a mechnism for other background processes (autovacuum, checkpoint, ..).
> b. more needs to be thought of..

Why would we spend time trying to put back something that is already
there? Why not simply avoid removing it in the first place?