Re: [RFC] CREATE QUEUE (log-only table) for londiste/pgQ ccompatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [RFC] CREATE QUEUE (log-only table) for londiste/pgQ ccompatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18 October 2012 18:33, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> All we're discussing is moving a successful piece of software into
>> core, which has been discussed for years at the international
>> technical meetings we've both been present at. I think an open
>> viewpoint on the feasibility of that would be reasonable, especially
>> when it comes from one of the original designers.
>
> When I ask you for technical clarification or bring up potential
> problems with a 2Q feature, you consistently treat it as a personal
> attack and are emotionally defensive instead of answering my technical
> questions.  This, in turn, frustrates the heck out of me (and others)
> because we can't get the technical questions answered.  I don't want you
> to justify yourself, I want a clear technical spec.

Well, this isn't "a 2Q feature"; perhaps that is part of the problem,
but I couldn't say.

I didn't know this was coming at all, nor is that a problem for me.
Since we've talked about that general feature enough at meetings we've
all been present at (and indeed, you chaired), I recognised it as that
and treated it positively in that light. (I think even that Hannu may
not have been present, just Marko).

You made claims that were completely unfounded and yet also strangely
negative. I picked you up on it because you'll kill discussion of the
feature if I don't speak out, not because the speaker works with me.
I'm not otherwise involved in the feature.

So your assumption of off-list collusion is wrong, as is your claim of
any emotional aspect to this from me. I don't think you can turn this
back onto me.

If a design is not clear, ask for clarification. Don't tell the world
in general that the design is bad or flawed until you actually know it
is. I hear "there is a problem with that patch" discussed too often.
Unfounded negativity is as certain a killer as any real technical
flaw, so we must be careful to avoid it. That comment goes to
everybody, for any patch, but in this case to you because this is the
second thread this week I've seen it.