Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Given that a lot of data types have a architecture dependent representation, it seems somewhat unrealistic and
expensiveto have a hard rule to keep them architecture agnostic.   And if that's not guaranteed, then I'm doubtful it
makessense as a soft rule either.

That's a good point, but the flip side is that, if we don't have such
a rule, a pg_dump of a hash-partitioned table on one architecture
might fail to restore on another architecture.  Today, I believe that,
while the actual database cluster is architecture-dependent, a pg_dump
is architecture-independent.  Is it OK to lose that property?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company