Re: should there be a hard-limit on the number of transactionspending undo? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: should there be a hard-limit on the number of transactionspending undo?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 2:24 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Yes. It doesn't really make any difference with B-Trees, because the
> locks there are very similar to row locks (you still need forwarding
> UNDO metadata in index pages, probably for checking the visibility of
> index tuples that have their ghost bit set). But when you need to undo
> changes to an indexes with coarse grained index tuples (e.g. in a GIN
> index), the transaction needs to roll back the index tuple as a whole,
> necessitating that locks be held. Heap TIDs need to be completely
> stable to avoid a VACUUM-like mechanism -- you cannot just create a
> new HOT chain. You even have to be willing to store a single heap row
> across two heap pages in extreme cases where an UPDATE makes it
> impossible to fit a new row on the same heap page as the original --
> this is called row forwarding.

I find this hard to believe, because an UPDATE can always be broken up
into a DELETE and an INSERT.  If that were to be done, you would not
have a stable heap TID and you would have a "new HOT chain," or your
AM's equivalent of that concept.  So if we can't handle an UPDATE that
changes the TID, then we also can't handle a DELETE + INSERT.  But
surely handling that case is a hard requirement for any AM.

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I feel like you're making some
assumptions that I'm not quite following.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company