Re: pg_dump issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_dump issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> How would that help? This isn't a lock failure.

It is, rather, a failure to lock.  Currently, LOCK TABLE only works on
tables, and pg_dump only applies it to tables.  If the offending
object had been a table rather than a view, pg_dump would (I believe)
have blocked trying to obtain an AccessShareLock against the existing
AccessExclusiveLock.  We talked about allowing locks on other types of
relations, but due to some bad syntax choices in the past it's not
completely obvious how to shoehorn that in.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-06/msg00119.php

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company