Re: Make MemoryContextMemAllocated() more precise - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Make MemoryContextMemAllocated() more precise
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 15:26 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Well, the issue is, if I understand correctly, that this means that
> > MemoryContextStats() might now report a smaller amount of memory than
> > what we actually allocated from the operating system. That seems like
> > it might lead someone trying to figure out where a backend is leaking
> > memory to erroneous conclusions.
>
> MemoryContextStats() was unaffected by my now-reverted change.

Oh. Well, that addresses my concern, then. If this only affects the
accounting for memory-bounded hash aggregation and nothing else is
going to be touched, including MemoryContextStats(), then it's not an
issue for me.

Other people may have different concerns, but that was the only thing
that was bothering me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company