Re: jsonpath - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: jsonpath
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:27 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> 11) Wording of some of the error messages in the execute methods seems a
> bit odd. For example executeNumericItemMethod may complain that it
>
>         ... is applied to not a numeric value
>
> but perhaps a more natural wording would be
>
>         ... is applied to a non-numeric value
>
> And similarly for the other execute methods. But I'm not a native
> speaker, so perhaps the original wording is just fine.

As a native speaker I can confirm that the first wording is definitely
not OK.  The second one is tolerable, but I wonder if there is
something better, like "can only be applied to a numeric value" or
maybe there's a way to rephrase it so that we complain about the
non-numeric value itself rather than the application, e.g. ERROR:
json_frobnitz can only frob numeric values or ERROR: argument to
json_frobnitz must be numeric.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company