Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM, David G. Johnston
>> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Given the role that psql performs I do think \rotate to be the least
>> > problematic choice; I concur that avoiding \pivot is desirable due to
>> > SQL's
>> > usage.
>>
>> I can't agree.  Rotating a matrix has a well-defined meaning, and this
>> does something that is not that.
>
> Even though the input data is a table and not a matrix?

Yes, I think rotating a table also has a pretty well-defined meaning.

> Do you have an
> alternative choice you'd like to defend?

Not particularly.  If everybody picks one thing they like and argues
strenuously for it, we'll never get anywhere.  I think it's enough to
say that I think this particular choice isn't the best.  It's not as
if no other suggestions have been made.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company