Re: Easily reading debug_print_plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Easily reading debug_print_plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We could in principle change to a different text representation for
> stored rules.  Compactness would be an issue if it were materially
> bigger than the existing formatting, but offhand it seems like JSON
> is morally equivalent to what we do now, no?

Yeah, but it gains a little.

{FROB :zot 3}
would become something like
{"type": "FROB", "zot": 3}

You could minimize the damage by using a single character name, like
an underscore, for the node type, and emitting all whitespace:

{"_":"FROB","zot":3}

...but it's still more.  Possibly not enough to matter, but more.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company