Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 5:12 AM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
> Looking at ssl_max_protocol_version closer though, to stay really
> consistent I'd have to change "latest" to be renamed to empty string
> (i.e. there is no max_protocol_version). I think I might prefer
> staying consistent over introducing an imho slightly clearer name.
> Another way to stay consistent would of course be also adding "latest"
> as an option to ssl_max_protocol_version? What do you think?

As I see it, the issue here is whether the default value would ever be
different from the latest value. If not, then using blank to mean the
latest seems fine, but if so, then I'd expect blank to mean the
default version and latest to mean the latest version.

> I'll look into adding min_protocol_version to the patchset soonish.
> Some review of the existing code in the first few patches would
> definitely be appreciated.

Yeah, I understand, and I do want to do that, but keep in mind I've
already spent considerable time on this patch set, way more than most
others, and if I want to get it committed I'm nowhere close to being
done. It's probably multiple weeks of additional work for me, and I
think I've probably already spent close to a week on this, and I only
work ~48 weeks a year, and there are ~300 patches in the CommitFest.
Plus, right now there is no possibility of actually committing
anything until after we branch. And, respectfully, I feel like there
has to be some give and take here. I've been trying to give this patch
set higher priority because it's in an area that I know something
about and have opinions about and also because I can tell that you're
kind of frustrated and I don't want you to leave the development
community. But, at the same time, I don't think you've done much to
help me get my patches committed, and while you have done some review
of other people's patches, it doesn't seem to often be the kind of
detailed, line-by-line review that is needed to get most patches
committed. So I'm curious how you expect this system to scale.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com