Re: On disable_cost - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: On disable_cost
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 10:04 AM Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> wrote:
> So rather than listing all the things we don't want to happen, we need a way to force (nay, highly encourage) a
particularsolution. As our costing is a based on positive numbers, what if we did something like this in costsize.c?

>  Cost        disable_cost = 1.0e10;
>  Cost        promotion_cost = 1.0e10; // or higher or lower, depending on how strongly we want to "beat"
disable_costseffects.

>     if (!enable_seqscan)
>         startup_cost += disable_cost;
>     else if (promote_seqscan)
>         startup_cost -= promotion_cost; // or replace "promote" with "encourage"?

I'm pretty sure negative costs are going to create a variety of
unpleasant planning artifacts. The large positive costs do, too, which
is where this whole discussion started. If I disable (or promote) some
particular plan, I want the rest of the plan tree to come out looking
as much as possible like what would have happened if the same
alternative had won organically on cost. I think the only reason we're
driving this off of costing today is that making add_path() more
complicated is unappealing, mostly on performance grounds, and if you
add disabled-ness (or promoted-ness) as a separate axis of value then
add_path() has to know about that on top of everything else. I think
the goal here is to come up with a more principled alternative that
isn't just based on whacking large numbers into the cost and hoping
something good happens ... but it is a whole lot easier to be unhappy
with the status quo than it is to come up with something that's
actually better.

I am planning to spend some more time thinking about it, though.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com