Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 02:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@zoho.com> writes:
>>> Comments?
>>
>> ISTM that all of the "functional" parts of this are superseded by
>> pg_file_settings;
>
> To use the new pg_file_settings view you need:
> 1( 9.5+
> 2( a running server
>
> The feature is describes as follows in a97e0c3354ace5d74
>
>> The information returned includes the configuration file name, line
>> number in that file, sequence number indicating when the parameter is
>> loaded )useful to see if it is later masked by another definition of
>> the same parameter(, parameter name, and what it is set to at that
>> point. This information is updated on reload of the server.
>
> None of which has much overlap in purpose with what I was suggesting, so
> I don't see why you think it actually makes it redundant.

I think Tom's point is that if you want to see whether the file
reloads without errors, you can use this view for that.  That would
catch stuff like wal_level=lgocial and
default_transaction_isolation='read_committed'.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company