Re: Parallel Seq Scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date
Re: Parallel Seq Scan
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we check the number of free bgworkers slots to set the max workers?

The real solution here is that this patch can't throw an error if it's
unable to obtain the desired number of background workers.  It needs
to be able to smoothly degrade to a smaller number of background
workers, or none at all.  I think a lot of this work will fall out
quite naturally if this patch is reworked to use the parallel
mode/parallel context stuff, the latest version of which includes an
example of how to set up a parallel scan in such a manner that it can
run with any number of workers.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company