Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Barring someone committing to spend the time to improve that situation
> (time that would be poorly invested IMO), I don't think that we want to
> open up ignore_system_indexes as USERSET, or do anything else to encourage
> its use.
>
> If we're intent on removing PGC_BACKEND then I'd be okay with
> reclassifying ignore_system_indexes as SUSET; but I'm not exactly
> convinced that we should be trying to get rid of PGC_BACKEND.

Well, if you want to discourage its use, I think there's an argument
that marking it as SUSET would be more restrictive than what we have
at present, since it would altogether prohibit non-superuser use.

I'm not wedded to the idea of getting rid of PGC_BACKEND, but I do
like it.  Peter's survey of the landscape seems to show that there's
very little left in that category and the stuff that is there is
somewhat uninspiring.  And simplifying things is always nice.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company