Re: Error on failed COMMIT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Error on failed COMMIT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 6:40 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks> wrote:
> Fair enough. What I meant to say was that the driver isn't in the business of providing different semantics than the
serverprovides.

Still don't agree. The server doesn't make any decision about what
semantics the driver has to provide. The driver can do whatever it
wants. If what it does makes users sad, then maybe it ought to do
something different.

Now, of course, it's also true that if what the server does makes
users sad, maybe the server should do something different. But I think
you're vastly underestimating the likely impact on other users and
drivers of making this change. That is a guess, and like any guess,
may be wrong. But it is still what I think.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company