Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> What would be the mnemonic for "," an "@"?

Oh, I just picked it because control-@ is the nul character, and your
commands would be nullified.  I realize that's pretty weak, but we're
talking about finding a punctuation mark to represent the concept of
commands-are-currently-being-skipped, and it doesn't seem particularly
worse than ^ to represent single-line mode.  If somebody's got a
better idea, fine, but there aren't that many unused punctuation marks
to choose from, and I think it's better to use a punctuation mark
rather than, say, a letter, like 's' for skip.  Otherwise you might
have the prompt change from:

banana=>

bananas>

Which I think is less obvious than