Re: Memory Alignment in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Memory Alignment in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Arthur Silva <arthurprs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought all memory alignment was (or at least the bulk of it) handled
> using some codebase wide macros/settings, otherwise how could different
> parts of the code inter-op? Poking this area might suffice for some initial
> testing to check if it's worth any more attention.

Well, sure, but the issues aren't too simple.  For example, I think
there are cases where we rely on the alignment bytes being zero to
distinguish between an aligned value following and an unaligned
toasted value.  That stuff can make your head explode, or at least
mine.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company