Re: Explain buffers wrong counter with parallel plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Explain buffers wrong counter with parallel plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason why I think the current behavior is okay because it is
> coincidental that they were displayed correctly.  We have not made any
> effort to percolate it to upper nodes.  For ex., before that commit
> also, it was not being displayed for Gather Merge or Gather with some
> kind of node like 'Limit' where we have to stop before reaching the
> end of the result.

It's not entirely coincidental.  I had the intention to try to ensure
that the workers would be shut down before the Gather or Gather Merge,
and I think that various things in the code testify to that intention.
It sounds like I missed some cases, but now we're missing even more
cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company