Re: Set log_line_prefix and application name in test drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Set log_line_prefix and application name in test drivers
Date
Re: Set log_line_prefix and application name in test drivers  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
>>> I've always been wondering why we don't set a log_line_prefix by
>>> default.
>>
>> I think the odds of getting to something that everyone would agree on
>> are nil, so I'm not excited about getting into that particular
>> bikeshed-painting discussion.  Look at the amount of trouble we're
>> having converging on a default for the regression tests, which are
>> a far narrower use-case than "everybody".
>
> Well, practically anything that includes a PID and the timestamp is
> going to be an improvement over the status quo.  Just because we can't
> all agree on what would be perfect does not mean that we can't do
> better than what we've got now.  +1 for trying.

Is there any chance we can move forward here, or is this effort doomed for now?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company