Re: LWLockAcquire and LockBuffer mode argument - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: LWLockAcquire and LockBuffer mode argument
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 6:35 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Thoughts?

This is likely to cause a certain amount of annoyance to many
PostgreSQL developers, but if you have evidence that it will improve
performance significantly, I think it's very reasonable to do it
anyway. However, if we do it all in a backward-compatible way as you
propose, then we're likely to keep reintroducing code that does it the
old way for a really long time. I'm not sure that actually makes a lot
of sense. It might be better to just bite the bullet and make a hard
break.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company