Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom, for example, has previously not wanted to even bump
>> catversion after beta1, which rules out a huge variety of
>> possible fixes and interface changes.  If we want to make a
>> policy decision to change our approach, we should be up-front
>> about that.
>
> What?!?  There have been catversion bumps between the REL?_?_BETA1
> tag and the REL?_?_0 tag for 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.3, and 9.4.
> (That is, it has happend on 6 of the last 8 releases.)  I don't
> think we're talking about any policy change here.  We try to avoid
> a catversion bump after beta if we can; we're not that reluctant to
> do so if needed.

Perhaps we're honoring this more in the breech than in the observance,
but I'm not making up what Tom has said about this:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27310.1251410965@sss.pgh.pa.us
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/19174.1299782543@sss.pgh.pa.us
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3413.1301154369@sss.pgh.pa.us
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3261.1401915832@sss.pgh.pa.us