Re: The purpose of the core team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: The purpose of the core team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/2015 11:47 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> After going over this a few times, there is one thing that strikes me
>> that nobody has mentioned: the list of tasks mentioned there has one
>> that's completely unlike the others.  These are related to human
>> relations:
>>
>>     Acting as a conduit for confidential communication.
>>     Making policy announcements.
>>     Managing permissions for commits, infrastructure, etc.
>>     Handling disciplinary issues.
>>     Making difficult decisions when consensus is lacking.
>>
>> while this one is highly technical:
>>     Coordinating release activities.
>>
>> It seems that only this last one is where most people seem to have a
>> problem.  I wonder if it makes sense to create a separate group that
>> handles release activites -- the "release team."
>
> De-facto, this is Packagers.  Which is maybe not the best system, but
> it's what we're doing now.

The release process has multiple parts:

1. Deciding that we need to do a release, either because $BUG is
really bad or because we have security fixes to release or because
enough time has gone by.
2. Updating translations and time zones and release notes and stamping
version numbers and building tarballs.
3. Packaging and releasing tarballs.
4. Writing and publicizing the release announcement.

#3 happens on pgsql-packagers and AFAICT it works fine.  The problems
are primarily with #1, and sometimes with #2 to the extent that Tom
and Peter pretty much do them every time, so if they're not available,
nobody else can step in.  I have no complaints about #4.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company