Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"
Date
Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"  (Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think this isn't a good design.  Per the discussion between Andres
>> and I, I think that I think you should do is make ALTER TABLE .. SET
>> LOGGED work just like VACUUM FULL, with the exception that it will set
>> a different relpersistence for the new relfilenode.  If you do it that
>> way, this will be less efficient, but much simpler, and you might
>> actually finish it in one summer.
>>

> Do it like 'VACUUM FULL' for any wal_level?

Yep.  Anything else appears to be a research problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company