Re: ALTER ... OWNER TO ... vs. ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: ALTER ... OWNER TO ... vs. ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Had this been part of the original ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES patch,
> those privileges would simply have been applied.  Since it wasn't, I'm
> ass-u-me'ing that changing the default behavior to that is going to
> cause (possibly legitimate) anxiety.

The word "applied" is not very clear here.  You want to revoke all
existing privileges and then regrant whatever the default privileges
would have been given the new owner?  That might be a reasonable thing
to have a command for, but doing it automatically on an owner change
does not sound like a good idea.  That could be very surprising
behavior.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company