Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Memory ordering issue in LWLockRelease, WakeupWaiters, WALInsertSlotRelease
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-02-17 13:49:01 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

>> > Here's patches doing that. The 9.3 version also applies to 9.2; the 9.1
>> > version applies back to 8.4.
>>
>> I have no confidence that this isn't going to be real bad for performance.
>
> It's just a write barrier which evaluates to a pure compiler barrier on
> x86 anyway?
> And it's in a loop that's only entered when the kernel is entered anyway
> to wake up the other backend.
>
> What should that affect significantly?

On x86, presumably nothing.  On other architectures, I don't know what
the impact is, but I don't accept a hand-wavy assertion that there
shouldn't be any as evidence that there won't be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company