Re: Non-superuser subscription owners - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Non-superuser subscription owners
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 10:45 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> I propose that we have two predefined roles: pg_create_subscription,
> and pg_create_connection. If creating a subscription with a connection
> string, you'd need to be a member of both roles. But to create a
> subscription with a server object, you'd just need to be a member of
> pg_create_subscription and have the USAGE privilege on the server
> object.

I have no issue with that as a long-term plan. However, I think that
for right now we should just introduce pg_create_subscription. It
would make sense to add pg_create_connection in the same patch that
adds a CREATE CONNECTION command (or whatever exact syntax we end up
with) -- and that patch can also change CREATE SUBSCRIPTION to require
both privileges where a connection string is specified directly.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com