Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I committed and back-patched this with some additional work on the
>> comments, but I don't understand this remark.  That comment seems like
>> it should refer to the checkpointer in modern branches, but isn't that
>> point independent of this patch?
>
>      * During recovery, we keep a copy of the latest checkpoint record here.
> -    * Used by the background writer when it wants to create a restartpoint.
> +    * lastCheckPointRecPtr points to start of checkpoint record and
> +    * lastCheckPointEndPtr points to end+1 of checkpoint record.  Used by the
> +    * background writer when it wants to create a restartpoint.
>
> The patch committed introduces lastCheckPointEndPtr, which is not used
> to decide if a restart point should be created or not.

The comment doesn't say anything about those structure members being
used to decide "if a restart point should be created or not".  It just
says that they are used; it says nothing about the purpose for which
they are used.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company