Re: pg_control is missing a field for LOBLKSIZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_control is missing a field for LOBLKSIZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> OK, assume the compiled-in default is the value for an old cluster that
>>> has no value --- yeah, I could do that.
>
>> I'm not really sure why this is better than Bruce's original proposal, though.
>
> The net behavior would be the same, but I thought it might be easier to
> code by thinking of it this way.  Or maybe it wouldn't --- it's just a
> suggestion.

Well, the difference is that if we just don't check it, there can
never be an error.  Basically, it's the user's job to DTRT.  If we
check it against some semi-arbitrary value, we'll catch the case where
the old cluster was modified with a custom setting and the new one was
not - but couldn't we also get false positives under obscure
circumstances?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company