Re: [HACKERS] Undefined psql variables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Undefined psql variables
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Undefined psql variables  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> So my view of this is that "send the expression to the server" ought
> to be just one option for \if, not the only way to do it.

I heartily agree.  There should be some kind of client-side expression
language, and one thing it should allow is calling out to the server.
Then people who only want to call out to the server can do that, but
people who want to do something else have the option.  Insisting that
this facility isn't allowed to do anything other than consult the
server is (1) inconsistent with what we've already got in v10 and (2)
boxing ourselves into a corner for no very good reason.

Now, the optimal shape for that client-side expression language is not
very clear to me.  Do we want to invent our own language, or maybe
consider using something that already exists?  It's been previously
suggested that we should somehow embed Lua, and this might not be a
bad place to consider doing something like that.  That might be a way
to add a lot of power without having to invent an entirely new
programming language one bit at a time.  If we want to invent our own
expression language, what kind of syntax should it use?  Upon what
kind of design principles should it be based?  There's likely to be
vigorous debate on these topics, and probably also complaints that the
good designs are too much work and the easy-to-implement designs are
too limiting.  (Regular readers of this mailing list will likely be
able to guess which side of those debates I'll be on, but we need to
have them all the same.)

Regarding the ostensible topic of this thread, one thought I had while
reading through these various responses is that the original need
would be well-served by the (somewhat dubious) syntax that bash uses
for variable substitution.  Obviously, we aren't going to change the
interpolate-this-variable character from : to $, but bash has
${parameter:-word} to substitute a default for an unset parameter,
${parameter:=word} to substitute a default for an unset parameter and
also set the parameter to that value, ${parameter:?word} to error out
with word as the error mesage if parameter is not set, and so forth.
If we decide to roll our own, we might consider taking inspiration
from those constructs.

I think that one of the general problems of language design is, as
Larry Wall once said, that a good language should make simple things
simple and complex things possible.  But simple is not an absolute; it
depends on context.  The things which a language needs to make simple
are those things which will be done frequently *in that language*.  So
for example in this case, out-calls to SQL need to be very easy to
write.  Maybe the empty-parameter thing needs to be easy; not sure.
Coming up with a good solution here will involve understanding what
people typically want to do with a language of this type and then
making sure that stuff can be done succinctly - and ideally also
making sure that other stuff is also possible if you're willing to put
in more legwork.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company