Re: Leftover reference to replacement selection 1 run case - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Leftover reference to replacement selection 1 run case
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> While reviewing the parallel CREATE INDEX patch, I noticed that commit
> 8b304b8b omitted to remove a comment that it made obsolete.
>
> Attached patch removes the comment.

I had to think about this for a while.  I could see that the comment
is now wrong, but initially I wasn't sure why we didn't care about the
optimization any more.  Eventually I had a thought: it's now
impossible to end up with only one tape, because each tape now always
contains the output of one quicksort operation, and if we only did one
quicksort operation, it would have been an in-memory sort and there
would be no tapes anyway.  Once we create a first tape, we've overrun
work_mem, so there will always be a second one.

Does that sound right?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company