Re: pg_amcheck contrib application - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_amcheck contrib application
Date
Re: pg_amcheck contrib application  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 12:12 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> >> On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:52 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Since we now know that shutting autovacuum off makes the problem go
> >> away, I don't see a reason to commit 0001. We should fix pg_amcheck
> >> instead, if, as presently seems to be the case, that's where the
> >> problem is.
>
> > If you get unlucky, autovacuum will process one of the tables that the test intentionally corrupted, with bad
consequences,ultimately causing build farm intermittent test failures.

> Um, yeah, the test had better shut off autovacuum on any table that
> it intentionally corrupts.

Right, good point. But... does that really apply to
005_opclass_damage.pl? I feel like with the kind of physical damage
we're doing in 003_check.pl, it makes a lot of sense to stop vacuum
from crashing headlong into that table. But, 005 is doing "logical"
damage rather than "physical" damage, and I don't see why autovacuum
should misbehave in that kind of case. In fact, the fact that
autovacuum can handle such cases is one of the selling points for the
whole design of vacuum, as opposed to, for example, retail index
lookups.

Pending resolution of that question, I've committed the change to
disable autovacuum in 003, and also Mark's changes to have it also run
pg_amcheck BEFORE corrupting anything, so the post-corruption tests
fail - say by finding the wrong kind of corruption - we can see
whether it was also failing before the corruption was even introduced.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com