Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> By the way, that page claims that PostgreSQL runs on Irix and Tru64,
>> which hasn't been true for a few years.
>
> There could be a GSoC project to add support for those back in... ;P

Greg Stark and Tom Lane did some work to fix problems in our VAX
support a few years ago (try git log --grep=VAX), but I don't think
Greg ever got it fully working.  There could be some point to putting
more effort into making PostgreSQL scale to very small systems.  We
seen to run pretty well even on very low-end hardware like a Raspberry
Pi, but there's always something lower-end, and having compile or
runtime options that lower our memory footprint would probably be
useful as the natural opposite of the scalability and parallel query
work we've been doing over the last few years.  Whether it's also
useful to try to support running the system on unobtainable operating
systems is less clear to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company